Trauma & Violence Programs
S.T.A.R. Violence Prevention
Straight Talk About Risks (STAR) is a community-based violence prevention program for grade clusters (K–2, 3–5, 6–8, 9–12, and young adults 18-23). Through the STAR program, students learn how to make better, safer decisions and resolve conflicts peacefully without violence including gun violence.
The S.T.A.R. program goal is to improve knowledge, attitudes, and behavior around violence.
Inspire Wellbeing & Resilience
Individuals Needing Support Immediate Results Embrace (INSPIRE) is a community-based trauma crisis intervention program to assist children and families in dealing with the effects of trauma. The program provides assessments and trauma-focused counseling services to child and adolescent victims of physical abuse, and other trauma, including loss of a loved one due to homicide, dating violence or violence at home, among peers and in the community.
The JHOSI Be Kind Ambassador Program teaches youth and young adults about activism, leadership and community organizing. The program offers opportunities for participants to advocate on key focus areas in an effort to improve their community and the world.
Advocacy Focus Areas Include: Gun Violence, Violence Prevention Education, Youth Mental Health, Teen Underage Drinking, and Social Injustice.
The JHOSI HEART (Helping Youth/Teens, Earn, Achievable, Results, Timely) Entrepreneurship program provides a focused introduction to business.
The goal of Project Heart is for each individual to successfully launch their own business.
Individualized Grief Coaching
We recognize the need to educate and empower individuals impacted by gun or group violence who want positive change. Through Grief Coaching we provide guidance for them to reach goals they have or identify new aspirations as they learn to love life again after a tragic loss.
As advocates for Grief Recovery, we are available to engage in events with focus on:
- Healing Through the Stages of Grief
- Coping Skills and Self Care
- Small support group
* Coaching Disclaimer: Grief & Support Services provided in partnership with Cultivating Change Health Solutions LLC, is not intended, in any way, to be a substitute or replacement for licensed medical consulting. *
JHOSI is engaged with Elementary Schools in the Atlanta, GA region providing learning and educational opportunities for students. The program learning changes throughout the year to provide focus on various initiatives. Programs include:
- Veggie Patch: promoting health eating habits, environmental education, and learning about recreation, exercise, and therapy.
- Financial Literacy: these interactive workshops teach students how to adopt or modify positive financial behaviors.
- Red Ribbon Campaign: create awareness concerning the problems related to the use of tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs and to support the decision to live a drug-free lifestyle.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics): students connect their learning in these critical areas including arts practices, elements, and design principles. This program has expanded to include coding.
As part of our outreach to local communities, we participate in several events throughout the year. Two main events we participate in annually are Toys for Tots and Back to School.
We also provide health and wellness education at local festivals, churches, community centers, recreational facilities, and businesses. If you have an event you would like us to attend please contact our office at 678-643-2292.
Personal Care Pack and Bags for Success
We partner with organizations that serve the local areas in Atlanta, GA to distribute Book Bags filled with school supplies to underprivileged youth going back to school in August.
Care Packs with Personal Hygiene Items are distributed to those in need.